Patrick is a cinephile who collects gaming consoles. He has always wanted to build his video installation around this theme. His private theater is equipped with a 7.1.4-channel audio system and an exceptional hi-fi installation, which allows him to watch films as well as listen to music and enjoy his collection of 38 consoles, all of which are in working condition.
How big is your home theater? From the technical area (electronics)?
My home theater room is 25m². The size seems correct to me, although I would have liked to have had a little more space. However, the level of immersion is good and it ensures great conditions to watch movies and / or listen to music.
How long did it take you to build this private theater?
My home theater room was made during the construction of my house. The equipment was purchased and installed within months.
When did you decide to design a private theater? Why create a dedicated room?
This room was planned as soon as my house was built. The plans were thought out during the original drawings of the house. I thought a lot about what I expected from this room and what equipment I wanted to install there. I was able to easily adapt the placement of the partitions to integrate all the speaker wiring, the in-ceiling Atmos speakers, etc.
There Internet network was also an issue we had to spend time on. I wanted a network bay in my garage to centralize all the elements in it and in particular the NAS. This network part is really very functional and I encourage enthusiasts who are embarking on this kind of adventure to do the same. Network streaming is the future!
How did you organize the construction work? What was the most challenging aspect?
The most difficult was the integration of the Lumene Show Place screen on the ceiling. It is fixed in the concrete slab of the ceiling and is recessed in the false ceiling, just below. The latter had been planned to install Focal 300 ICW 8 loudspeakers, and it was therefore necessary to improvise to gain a few extra centimeters. So I added a second false ceiling.
What was the overall budget for the system and construction?
The construction work is included in the price of the house, but it represents around 2000 €. The material was the big expense. Everyone does according to their budget and I was lucky to be able to buy high end equipment. I spent about €40,000 in my current equipment.
Can you list the equipment used and tell us why you chose these brands?
- JVC DLA-N7 video projector: a very good 4K projector with really beautiful blacks
- Denon AVC-A110 AV receiver: I love Denon and this amp is just a marvel
- Atoll IN200 Signature HiFi Amplifier: I was looking for a more neutral hi-fi amplifier than my Denon A110 to listen to music. It went well with my previous Triangle Antal EZ floorstanders, but the Focal Sopra now require a more powerful amp. I dream of getting a McIntosh amplifier
- SVS SB-16 Ultra subwoofer: a monster !
- Elipson Prestige Facet 8B surround speakers: I ordered the Focal Surround BE, but they’re not here yet. I try to harmonize all of my material as I go.
- Triangle Voce EZ center speaker: I will replace it soon for a Focal Sopra Center
- Focal Sopra 2 floorstanding speaker: one of my dream speakers that I was able to get. The Beryllium tweeter is amazing. The midrange / treble of these speakers surprises me every time I listen.
- Focal 300 ICW 8 Atmos speakers: this choice was based on the reputation of these in-ceiling speakers which are very punchy, ideal for Atmos sound.
- Bluesound Node 2i network player: my first network drive, to try, it suits me but will certainly be replaced by something more qualitative one day.
- Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 video player: I have three Shields at home and I find this box really very powerful and practical to use. All of my Shields are hooked up to my NAS in the network bay, allowing me to access my media files in every room of the house.
- Panasonic DP-UB9000 Blu-ray player: last survivor in high-end Blu-ray players in my opinion since the disappearance of Oppo in this field and faced with the many difficulties to acquire a Pioneer turntable.
Did you use an acoustic treatment if not, do you plan to use one in the future?
No, because I didn’t initially think about doing it, but I plan to do it soon. Also, I plan to paint my room in black to improve the feeling of immersion! I hadn’t thought about it at all before calibrating my projector.
What is the first movie you watched in this room? Which one gave you a taste for home theater?
Back to the Future 2, our favorite movie with my son.
How often do you use this home theater room?
Almost every day.
Do you watch anything other than movies? Sporting events? Series? Video games? Concerts?
Yes, we watch series on VOD services, soccer matches, and we play video games. Just look at the collection of 38 consoles!
How would you like to upgrade your system?
A Hi-Fi amplifier worthy of the Focal Sopra 2 will join my system in a few months. The McIntosh MA9000 would be an excellent candidate. I am also considering an acoustic treatment of the room to keep improving the sound quality.
What piece of advice can you give to someone who wants to make a room like this?
Treat yourself, you only have one life!